Commission on Volcano Geophysics
The fundamental aim of the Commission is to promote volcano seismology as a tool to gain a better understanding of the dynamics of volcanoes and improve our ability to accurately predict their behaviour. The goals of the Commission are fivefold:
- To facilitate collaborations among scientists and institutions investigating volcanic processes and structures
- To facilitate the transfer of knowledge, tools and training between scientists and volcano observatories, especially in developing countries
- To promote the use of state-of-the-art seismic equipment, such as broadband sensors and high dynamic range data-loggers, in routine volcanic monitoring and seismic experiments
- To promote conferences, seminars, and high-level education aimed at familiarising researchers with modern theoretical and experimental seismic methods used in the interpretation of volcanic processes and structures
- To promote funding from international organisations that could help affray travel and related expenses for the activities listed above.
- Chair and IASPEI Representative: Jurgen Neuberg (UK)